Sunday, October 14, 2007

Bill Gate Is Hoping That Business Owners, Everywhere, Loose Their Minds

Microsoft to introduce unified communication system



NYT technology blog has a piece that talks about Bill Gate's big plan to introduce unified communications on Tuesday October, 16, 2007.

"That day, Bill Gates plans to introduce Microsoft’s invasion into their business, with a new line of software for what the company calls “unified communications.” That means it is meant to integrate all the ways that people talk to each other: voice, video, instant messaging and more elaborate forms of online collaboration.

If it is successful, this software will accelerate the shift of communications from specialized devices and networks onto Internet-based networks, desktop PCs and microprocessor-based servers. And that, in turn, could challenge the economics of the remarkably profitable telecommunications industry."


Here I see it.

Microsoft's offer to unify my communication systems with their softwares is plain and simple a crappy business deal. Here's why.

Cutting through all the B.S., what Microsoft is suggesting is a simple trade: they bring their buggy, unsecured, unstable softwares to the party and I bring my money, my VOIP telephone service, voice mail, faxes, video conferencing, all my telecommunications needs. Fine, simple. But here's the rub, Microsoft will not get less buggy, more secure or stable and my communication systems will likely get really crappy...in fact, it is very likely that my problems with this "unified communication" will increase but it is an absolute certainty that Microsoft customer support won't be a great help!

So, in simple terms MS unified communication is going to a business deal I am most likely to regret, and I am not interested in the stress.

So in Wall Street terms, we would call Microsoft's offer a trading position, not a buy and hold. It doesn't make good business sense to buy it or lease it for that matter (which is what they're asking,) so I'd rather stick to what I know works and works well.

Sorry Microsoft. No dice!

___Coolrepublica using wise words from a man, who may, or may not be Rob Campbell.

No comments: